Over the weekend I decorated my room and oh boy was it hard work.
My family had gone camping and I couldn’t because of work commitments. So I was working 10 to 7 on Saturday and 9 to 6 on Sunday… and decided to completly gut and decorate my room- pure stupidity.
- Preparation (much to my disgust) is key
- Moving to University meant I have double the amount of ‘stuff’- which happens to need to be out back into my room. Which, unlike my wardrobe, has not grown.
- If you want perfection- pay someone else.
- I learnt to man up a lil bit- crying in a built in wardrobe because you can’t take the lid off the paint is not productive. Especially crying on the phone to your Dad.
- How to wash paint out of your hair.
- I figured out how to avoid getting paint in you eyes and mouth- step as far away as possible.
At the end of the day, I can honestly say that I would be happy never painting another room again. It makes me miserable, tired and put my relationship to the test! But it does look very nice now and I am very pleased.
I painted it a Dulux White Blossom pink colour, which is a very subtle, not too childish, pink. Here are some of the plans I have for it!
For exclusive use by client Gemma Wright and Author Lyndsey James.
I am loving all things flamingo at the moment, but I also love cactus’- I’m hoping to include both features, without it looking bonkers. I love the whole design side of these things, but its safe to say I’m not a interior painter… actually I suck at it!
Side note: All of the above can be found on Not on the Hightstreet- My all time favourite!
Yesterday we had a day trip to London and as per usual, it was awesome.
London is an international hub for all things business. Yet everyone belongs. People go to London to stand out, but equally it is one of the only places in the world where one can truly disappear. It is not always pleasant, agreeable, cheerful or easy, but always magnificent.
Several people have said to me that going to London in ‘times like these’ is dangerous, even foolish, following the attacks. I entirely disagree. London feels the strongest and perhaps the safest in these times.
London is my favourite city in the world. Jack and I have visited London several times, we have climbed the O2, been to Theatres, stayed on the Thames, walked in Hyde Park, we have shopped in Oxford Street and have made magical memories in a magical city. London is beautifully unpredictable, from who you will see and the events that are taking place, to the weather.
I would describes yesterday’s London as grey. But not a dull grey, the sort of grey the sky turns when its full of clouds. A bright, glowy sky, where the sun is trying to shine through, but the thick layer of clouds prevent it. It’s actually the sort of grey sky that makes me sleepy. It’s too dark for sunglasses but so sunny you end up squinting. Yesterday’s London was busy, colourful and noisy. It was perfect.
Here are some photos I took on my travels 🙂
I’ve spoken quite a bit about my lifestyle, but not so much about me as a person, so today I’m going to share with you 25 things you probably don’t know about me!
- I’m scared of horses- when I was 7 I was at a party and the supervisor let go of the reins and the horse ran, with me on it. We were in the New Forest and it was terrifying.
- Crossing fingers, or toes, makes my stomach flip.
- When I was 3 I fell into a tank full of crabs at a Nursery Trip to the Aquarium.
- I have an overly sensitive nose and have an obsession with candles, especially cinnamon and apple flavour.
- I am horrendous when it comes to spicy food- my nose runs, I sweat and sometimes my eyes run too.
- I suck at long distance running. But was always good at sprinting and high jump at school.
- I’m hangry 99% of the time.
- I have been attacked by dogs on 3 separate occasions and am a little apprehensive around dogs I haven’t met. However, big, fluffy dogs are my favourite. Beside my little Border Terrier Jim, he’s pretty damn awesome.
- I am obsessed with Grey’s Anatomy.
- I used to do singing lessons from age 11 to 14. I love to sing, but mostly in private.
- The biggest thing I miss (apart from my family of course!) when I’m away from home is the Sea- it’s just my happy place.
- I met my boyfriend, Jack, on a bus, first year of college, aged 16. Now we’re at University together!
- When I was 5 a boy at my school pushed me into a tank of sting rays- another School Trip.
- I hate spiders.
- When I was 12 I sold cup cakes at my Dad’s offices and that was my first sort of job.
- I learned the clarinet from age 8 to 13.
- I am not a big clubber- I enjoy drinking and socialising, but don’t enjoy the being drunk aspect. Or the cramped spaces. I prefer coffee shops and cake.
- Anything Avocado I adore.
- I have a fair size list of allergies: food colourings, dairy, a large amount of fruit, in particular peaches. Peaches and I do NOT get along #anaphylaxis
- I have a ridiculous amount of blond moments.
- Sea food is my favourite- especially mussels.
- I like/attempt to play Fifa with Jack, and I’m getting pretty damn good at it- I think!
- I hate, hate, hate confrontation. I just cry.
- I drink a ridiculous amount of tea each day.
- I am the worst person to go clothes shopping with. I am not remotely claustrophobic at any other time, but if I get caught in a top in a changing room its freak-out time.
I hope you enjoyed learning that little bit more about me.
Thank you for reading! Happy Monday!
I have been pretty absent recently, but plan to reboot this blog and start writing more frequently again. I’m certainly not making excuses, but Second Year of University is proving to be pretty challenging… really, really challenging actually!
I often make New Years Resolutions but never seem to stick to them and just end up feeling rubbish by the next New Year when I realise I’ve not achieved the goals I wanted. But I have been thinking and a lot of New Years Resolutions are about taking away or stopping things, so I am going to try to make a list of 5 things I want to add to my 20th year on Earth. I have recently turned 20 and aim to fulfill these resolutions by 21.
So onto the Resolutions!
- Make the most of University– I worked out I’m over half way through my Degree and by my 21st birthday I’ll be in my final year! At the moment I am pretty overwhelmed with work, both University, blogging or magazine articles and working out what I’m actually doing with this degree- and I feel like sometimes I need to take a breather. So my goal is: go out for more coffees, go to as many Student Union Events as I can, take part in Puppy De-Stress Days (because why the hell not?) and fun memories.
- Make more friends– I have so many people that I see on a regular basis but never seem to go out for coffee with them, or organise to meet up outside of a Seminar.
- Take more photos. Capture the special moments in my life.
- Be happier with me. This is a pretty standard one: ‘get fitter’etc, but I’m more concerned with feeling good in my own skin. Maybe that means I need to buy more clothes that make me feel good? Or maybe eat a few less cakes… and crisps.
- Commit to my Blog and start a Vlog... This is the one I’ve wanted to do for the longest but have never had the guts. I’m pretty rubbish at sitting down and writing everything that happens in the day, but actually I like to think my life is pretty interesting, and I’ve got a pretty exciting year ahead of me. So I’m going to give it a go this year.
I hope you enjoyed reading this!
Sorry for not being as up to date with the blogs recently, I have had 4 deadlines in the space of 2 weeks and it has been STRESSFUL to say the least. However, my final deadline is on Thursday and then I will be back to posting weekly.
Feeling under pressure recently has certainly made me notice how important the little things in life are. I think my best tip for University, College, School or even just Life is to look after Number 1. It’s so easy to be bogged down in work and become a recluse.
(RECLUSE: a person who lives a solitary life and tends to avoid other people.
aka. goodbye social life)
How I make sure I am not a biscuit-munching-essay-writing-ever-getting-larger-recluse:
- Retail therapy- hell yeah, Missguided had a sale on- 50%!!
- Shower every day- I have two days off a week, and oh the temptation to stay in my pyjamas- but NO.
- Go for a run. I’m really awful at running, but it gets me out. Also, with a degree like History you spend a fair amount of time on your bum.
- When I get stressed I get break-outs 😦 but I am a firm believer that if you feel in anyway rubbish about yourself, put that extra bit of effort in. If I have a random and ever-lasting break out- I curl my hair, or put some eyeliner on.
- Paint my nails.
- Go out for cake. But only if I walk the 20 minutes to the tea shop.
- Go out with friends, have fun, otherwise you WILL go crazy.
Quick Update on what I have been up to:
- I tried a new diet. It lasted one day and I feel horrendous about it. It claimed you could lose 10 lb in 1 week. However, it forgot to mention how awful you feel. I ate nothing but fruit all day and had to leave a lecture early after feeling I was going to pass out. Not only was this embarrassing but I feel so stupid for even trying it.
- As a result of this, I am just going to eat healthier, cleaner and do more exercise… hopefully!
- I have been ordering Christmas presents and am now feeling unbelievably festive.
- During my Reading Week, we got a new Coffee Machine and it is the new best thing for dairy free diets.
- I handed in an essay that I knew was bad.
- Spent too much money on makeup.
If you enjoy reading my blogs, please do like and follow!
Today was one of those days!
- I woke up this morning with a sore foot, looked at it, and there was glass in the sole of my foot.
- We then did pre-reading before we left for our first Lecture at 11.
- No Seminar Tutor arrived to our Lecture, so we went and got coffee!
- I then had 2 more seminars and 1 lecture (Tuesdays are my least favourite).
- Went to the library to get some books out, heavy books.
- Met my boyfriend for another coffee.
- Walking back from my final lecture I face planted the floor. I have these stupid desert boots, and they lock together. It was so embarrassing. I don’t think I’ve fallen over like that in about a decade. Luckily it was only Hannah and a random, very nice, old lady, that saw.
- I stood there on the verge of tears, with bleeding hands and grazed knees through my BRAND NEW jeans. I got them yesterday. I was most upset about this.
- We then drove home and I ate a high carb pasta dish and did minimal work to make me feel better.
- Students don’t clear away glass properly after they smash one.
- My automatic reaction when I face plant is to yell ‘s**t!’
- When you don’t live on campus, the amount of stuff you carry around is ridiculous.
- Desert boots suck.
- I learnt about the history of the cod piece today.