Banishing Easter Guilt

Banishing Easter Guilt

Happy Easter and Happy start of April!

This blog post is all about Easter Guilt.

Over the last week I have seen so many articles focussing on how bad Easter eggs are for you. Ranging from calories to how many burpees you would need to do to burn them off… for real?! Though I am not surprised, it is pretty sad to think that Easter (and the opportunity to eat Easter Eggs) comes round once a year, and we are being told not to enjoy it!? These sort of articles just make people feel bad. Unnecessarily. Because sometimes you need a treat. There are so many of us worrying about our health anyway, these articles are just damaging, not only to our idea of a healthy balanced diet, but to self confidence too. So here are my thoughts on eating Easter Eggs at Easter time!

fbda3758-41c9-437e-a0c4-982381bb0c1e

Having a healthy balanced diet: I treat myself. Otherwise, quite frankly, I’d go loopy. I have tried diets- and they just make me miserable. A healthy balanced diet means I eat good 80% of the time. In the other 20% I make room for Easter Eggs, the odd glass of wine and a meal out if I choose. Depriving yourself is really bad, deprivation simply leads to binging, which leads to unhappiness. AKA, a vicious cycle, and an unhappy you. I do not claim to be a nutritionist, but if you check any out, they are forever disproving myths surrounding diets. Often they prove that a healthy, balanced diet is the way forward. So as I’m sat here, hell yeah I’m eating an Easter Egg!!

But what about my weight? I have never, ever, stepped off of the scales feeling anything but inadequate. For me standing on the scales is the worst possible thing I could do for my mental health. I could be on a real health kick, for weeks- but the minute I step on those scales, I can lose it all. I automatically go from feeling positive about myself and expecting to see a physical difference, to thinking ‘pass me a chocolate bar, this healthy eating has done sod all for me’. Every time I do the same thing. I get upset, I compare myself to others, I wear baggy clothes for a few days (and binge) and then I give myself a pep talk. Because they really are only numbers. They don’t define me, nor my worth, or my health. I have always been heavier than I expect. But I end up assessing my life in general. Do I eat healthily 80% of the time? Yes. Am I active on a daily basis? Yes. Am I in a positive mindset the majority of the time? Yes. I know I am healthy.

One day will not make me gain weight: Have you ever gone to the gym and lost weight after a day? Nope. So this one day of eating an Easter Egg will not make you gain weight. Think of this as a day off. Granted, one day at the gym gets you one step closer to where you want to be, but these moments of indulgence will not have an impact on the long run. Especially not when mixed with a health diet the majority of the time. If you feel bad, go to the gym an extra time this week or squeeze in an extra 15 minutes work out.

Easter Egg Guilt: We live in a world where people are counting calories left, right and centre, there are apps for it, books for it and DVD’s for it. The celebratory seasons are the worst for it, whether it’s Christmas or Easter (the two biggest seasons of enjoyment), we have calorie counts rammed down our throats. When the reality is: I love skittles and wine. Sometimes I don’t ‘deserve’ them, but quite frankly the idea of ‘working for’ these indulgences is ludicrous. It’s two days a year. Real life has to come first sometimes. I am certainly not prepared to start turning down pudding at the Easter roast dinner, or ask everyone not to bother getting me an Easter Egg this year. Life is for enjoying!

What I am trying to say is, future you isn’t going to think ‘I’m really glad I didn’t eat those Pringles on the 28th February’, it’s all about moderation. If you’re working towards a goal, whether that’s a number, a shape or simply a healthier lifestyle- patience is key. Results don’t happen over night. So allow yourself an Easter treat (or multiple), maybe it will give you that extra reason to stay good for the rest of the week, or work that little bit harder in the gym. In my case, I feel like it simply gives me a boost, my enjoyment this weekend will allow me to have a healthier mindset throughout the rest of the week.

We are entitled to enjoy our food. Life is for living and enjoying. Look after your body and treat it sometimes.

Bee xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s