Recently, I have been in a bit of a funk.
There is so much to be said for being happy. I can complain as much as the next girl, but there is nothing better than being content. Sometimes I find it really hard to be positive and it can feel like things just go wrong- All. The. Time. With University strikes, my third and final year coming to an end and what feels like mountains of work- I’ve just been feeling a little bit naff. But like I said, this is just a funk. A temporary blip to look back on and think ‘thank goodness- I made it’.
So today I wrote a list of 15 things that make me happy. Despite all the crappiness.
- Right now, I am sat at my desk, with a coffee. For which I am eternally grateful. It is the fuel in my engine and the source of my procaffeinating.
- My friends. I have just got back from a trip to Reading to see my cousin, Jess, and I realised just how much I love her. Friends end up being rocks without knowing it sometimes. My little group chat was buzzing away today, and I was reminded of how much I love our little conversations.
- Living so close to Leamington Spa Parade. I didn’t really consider Leamington Spa in my choosing of Warwick as my University of choice but it turns out it was a pretty good shout considering that its littered with coffee shops (literally every other shop). I am grateful for these coffee shops providing my flat-mate, Hannah, and I with the opportunity to escape from the flat and drink coffee (and inevitably window shop).
- I am loving eye liner at the moment. Feeling stressed can make me feel totally yuck. But I’ve found that putting on eyeliner every morning has really given me a boost. Essentially, I feel like crap, but at a glance, look somewhat put together!
- My boyfriend. He’s pretty damn awesome and puts up with a lot. He buys me pasta, shares my love of skittles, and watches Netflix with me. I’m grateful we’re both going through University together. His constant motivation I find both baffling and inspiring.
- My dissertation is getting better. I’m writing it. I’m starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel.
- The lady in Costa who forever showers me in compliments and I don’t think she quite realises how much it cheers me up. I want to get her a little gift before I leave University for being such a gem. She does the same to my friend Hannah too. Maybe that contributes to my visiting Costa quite so often!
- Brunch. The invention of it. I love it. I love Bills. If it’s pancakes or something remotely avocado, I’m good with it.
- Floaty trousers. I’ve been feeling somewhat potato-like recently. A little bit circular-like, and sort of ugly. It’s probably the snacks and lack of movement from my desk. But floaty trousers have been a God-send. They make me feel less podgy and a little bit stylish!
- James Blunt. Recently, I’ve been listening to him (and Nina Simone) non-stop.
- Having said that Taylor Swift has made the car journeys with Hannah one hell of a throw back to my teenage years. Which I love. There is something fantastic about singing at the top of your lungs in the car with one of your best friends.
- Colourful clothes. In these Dark Times (which I feel is a totally appropriately name for these Strike-ridden days/weeks/months) make me a lot chirpier. I feel more alive. Which sounds so dramatic.
- The weather. It’s much warmer since the snow melted (pfft surprising that!) and I like it. Sat on the train today, directly in the sun, made me desperately want to be on a beach holiday, with a pina colada in one hand and a crappy magazine in the other.
- Cornwall. I am off on a little adventure with my family (and my dogs) and I cannot wait. I’m excited to relax, play board games- and maybe even read a book!
- Netflix. Hannah and I have really got into all things murder mystery and CSI on Netflix recently- if you fancy something easy to watch and to cool down to in the evening I highly recommend the documentaries section on Netflix! We mostly natter and drink tea together, but I love it.