If you’re anything like me, sometimes (daily) you run late. Whether you snooze the alarm one time too many or mess up your winged eyeliner, something always happens to make you have a last-minute panic. Though I love the idea of simply being fashionably late, I know that really my lack of punctuality soon becomes unfashionably annoying.
During this getting ready frenzy, my hair usually falls to the bottom of my ‘to-do’ list. And, let’s be honest, having your hair ‘did good’ makes you feel ready to take on whatever the day may have in store for you! You can channel the g l a m. So I put together some tips I have learnt over the years to make getting out the door (with your hair intact!) that little bit easier.
Here you go!
Spray your bobby pins with hairspray.
- This way they stay in place all day!
Spray your toothbrush with hairspray to tame baby hairs.
- I have always had baby hair at the front of my head… and they can really wind me up. As a child they would curl up and out, sort of like horns. I saw this hack online, tested the theory and it worked! So yay, bye horns, I win.
Put your hair in a high pony tail, then curl it.
- I have this theory that if you wake up feeling even remotely crappy, you should spend that extra 5 minutes on yourself. Then, if it’s a reflection or a mirror in the bathroom, at a glance you look in control (even if you don’t feel it!). For some reason, having my hair put together, and giving others the idea that this girl has extra time to do her hair in the morning gives me great comfort. Nobody need know about the bed hair frenzy!
- Anyway, I digress! It’s really quick to spruce up your hair by tying it into a high pony and curling it. This way, you look fabby and it’s taken you no more that 5 minutes!
Spray hairspray on your hand for a softer look.
- I can sometimes go a little overboard on the hairspray, and then you have the crunchy, tacky feel to your hair. And nobody wants that! So if you spray it onto your hands, you can give your hair that little bit more volume. This gives a more natural curls look and saves you the wasted hairspray.
Blow dry your hair with cool air after blow drying it.
- Blow drying my hair can take me aaaages, and there is nothing more frustrating than styling my hair and five minutes later looking like I’ve had a run in with a rabid squirrel. So blowing cool air prevents your hair from going frizzy and sets the style.
- It’s kind of like washing your face with warm water, followed by cool!
Put mousse in your dry hair, then blow dry it.
- If you’re having one of those volume-less, non-co-operative hair days- then this hack is perfect. By adding mousse to dry hair, then blow drying it, you add the volume you were lacking!
- I personally find volume-less hair the hardest to work with.
Use talc powder instead of dry shampoo.
- For those desperate times. I can most definitely say for blonds (brunettes- maybe try this out first!) this works wonders. It acts as a dry shampoo really nicely.
Put dry shampoo in the minute you wake up.
- Dry shampoo, my companion on lazy days, or those mornings when my hair is limp, volume-less and greasy! I try so hard not to wash my hair every day, it’s really not a great habit to get into- but greasy hair just makes me feel g r o s s. Soooo dry shampoo is a God send. But a top tip is to put it on the minute you wake up as it takes a while to soak up the oils.
- I always apply it before I do my makeup.
Put dry shampoo in before bed.
- If it’s day 2 (or 3 or 4!) of not washing your hair, and you know it’s going to be looking a lil bit greasy in the morning, put some dry shampoo in before bed. This really works, not only do I wake up and think ‘huh, that’s not too bad’, it also makes it easier to style!
Only wash the front section of your hair.
- Ladies, this is when your hair just ain’t cooperating. Whether you slept on it funny, it rained or you just need to feel f r e s h- wash the front section. It may seem odd, but it works. It’s easier to style and doesn’t take anywhere near as long as washing the lot!
Have a ‘go-to’ hairstyle: mine is the low pony tail.
- My go-to hairstyle is a low pony. Not only does it look slick, it means nobody can see the mess we call greasy hair!
- I mean, you can go crazy: low ponytail, low bun, french plait… the skies the limit.
I hope these hacks help you spruce up your hair on those running late, greasy lookin’ (probably Monday) days!
Oh and here is a GIF of a dog who, much like me, hates blow drying his hair!