Today’s blog is all about my first University Shopping list. As a 3rd year, this is my third and last (yikes) ‘first’ food shop. Over the last two years, and many shopping trips, I have discovered I am actually quite frugal. I am more than happy to go for the supermarket own products- does not bother me one bit. I pick what I spend more on, for example Free Range Eggs or meat. This is definitely worth spending the extra couple of pence on- in my opinion! But rice, pasta, sauces etc I try to spend the minimal.
I usually spend around £25 a week on my food shop, which I think is an OK price. I only buy what I don’t already have and try to keep the extras to a minimal. So everything on this list is what I like to have, and when I run out I will top it up if necessary. My best shop (as sad as this sounds!!) was a whopping £19- I’ve never managed to go lower.
If you’re anything like me, I split my shop up into sections- which I will do on this blog too! Just as a heads up, the first University shop is the most expensive, so don’t panic, most things last longer than you think! So I would estimate this shop between £50 to £60 depending on offers!
Fruit and Veg
- Multipack of veg- most supermarkets do this- usually potato, sweet potato, carrots etc
- Raspberries or strawberries.
- Pineapple or mango.
- Satsumas (I always have these!)
- Lacto-free milk
- Lacto-free cheese/ goats cheese/ feta (depending on cost or preference!)
- Lacto-free cream cheese
- Alpro Soya Yoghurts- blueberry
- 6 x Eggs
- Frozen peas
- Fish fingers
- Chicken breasts (separated into little plastic bags, so they last longer!)
- 3 x weight watchers diet meals (ideal for when you feel ill, have deadlines etc and don’t want to pig out!)
- Bread- I don’t really eat bread, but I do like having it in the freezer for the odd occasion or for guests!
- 2 x cans of soup
- Rice (either microwavable or just plain) or couscous
- Tinned tuna
- Tinned sweet corn
- 1 x pasta sauce
- Tinned pineapple
- Pasta (the cheapest!)
- Plastic bags
- A curry sauce/ sweet and sour sauce
- Crackers/ Rivita/ Rice Cakes
- Cereal Bars
- Porridge Sachets
- Sugar (small- for my porridge :))
- Toilet roll
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Shower gel
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Makeup remover
- A face scrub or treatment
- Anti-bacterial wipes for surfaces in my room.
- A spray for the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Air freshener
- Fabric softener
I like to have my cupboards stocked up in case I feel unwell, haven’t had a weekly shop or feel too busy to do one, hence the variety of meals you could make out of this food shop.
A little side note- I do not include alcohol or fizzy drinks into my budgetting. I am not a massive alcohol drinker anyway, but I budget any alcohol into my “me fund”. I put it in the same category as makeup, clothes etc, just because I feel it’s a treat, not a necessity.
I hope this helps, obviously as I have a lacto-free diet, some of these are quite specific to me, but I would totally recommend giving the lacto-free products a go- they’re healthier and literally taste the same.
If you are doing a first University Shop, don’t forget that there are shops on and around campus, so anything you forget can easily be picked up!
Enjoy the anticipation and good luck to anyone starting in the next week!
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to ask 🙂