With my holiday to Portugal in two weeks time, I am starting to think that I should do a last minute health surge to (hopefully!) make me feel that little bit better in a bikini! I wouldn’t necessarily use the word ‘detox’, but I am definitely trying to avoid foods that will make me bloat, and am trying to eat as much fruit and veg as I can. I have never had the flattest of bellies, and I try to do sport as much as I can, but I can confirm that I notice a big difference if I cut out all wheat and limit the amount of dairy (or lacto-free dairy) in take I have. Downside: this can make me a lil grumpy.
So this morning I thought I would try some Banana Pancakes- I had heard of them before and thought I would give them a go- and they were pretty damn good!
Serves 2 people: makes 4 pancakes- don’t worry they’re pretty filling!
- 1 banana
- 2 large eggs
- A pinch of baking soda
- A dash of vanilla essence
- Oil- I used olive oil
Beat the eggs in one bowl and mash the banana in another. Make sure the banana is pretty well mashed, more of a paste. Then mix the banana with the eggs and add the vanilla and a pinch of baking soda. Mix it all together and you have your pancake batter.
I always seem to add too much oil so today I brushed it onto the pan, so I had a thin coat of oil on the pan. Heat the pan on a medium heat. When the pan is nice and hot, spoon out enough mixture for two pancakes- so half the batter.
Leave them to cook for one to two minutes on each side, and then flip them. Once they’re done, put them to one side and do the other two. Remember to add another coat of oil on the pan, and remove any burnt or excess pancake from the last lot- burnt pancake can smell pretty gross.
Then enjoy with whatever toppings you like, or even plain! They’re pretty sweet due to the banana and the vanilla.
Here are a few of my favourite toppings:
- Cinnamon and sugar sprinkled over the top.
- Honey, maple syrup or golden syrup- depending on how healthy I am feeling.
- Nutella- for my cheat/treat days!
- Caramelised apple with cinnamon- I have blogged about these before and OMG they taste insane, however do contain a bit of sugar, so probably not the healthiest option.
- Lemon or orange and sugar.
- Chopped fruit- strawberries and raspberries are the bees knees on pancakes.
- Yoghurt- I have lacto-free yoghurts, or soya yoghurts, but my favourite is the strawberry flavoured.
I hope you love these as much as I do- kick start your day with a healthy, non-bloaty breakfast and experiment with your toppings.